Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Step 1: Introductions

Hello! My name is Stephanie Cheek (or Steph if you prefer)

This is not my first attempt at a blog, but this is the first time that I am excited and looking forward to creating and posting in a blog. I am a sophomore Communication Major at Slippery Rock University, so I feel like I should have started a blog a long time ago, but my New-Media Journalism class gave me the push that I needed to start and actually enjoy blogging. 

I am like most college students enjoy spending time with friends whether in person or through Facebook. Facebook is one of the few social media sites that I am consistently on so my Twitter is completely new and foreign to me, but you learn by doing, so I'm starting. I am specifically interested in print journalism, and since the field is changing, this is a great opportunity to familiarize myself with social media and how it can be used to help me in the future. I hope to be able to blog on a regular basis and almost become addicted to constantly updating.

I grew up living bi-coastally, part of my time I lived with my mom in Los Angeles, CA, and the other part of my time I spent with my dad in Pittsburgh, PA. I love the fact that I grew up traveling and going on numerous vacations with my family, so it blossomed my love for traveling. I go through phases where I need to write on a regular basis, and others where I just create a list in my head of things that I want to write about. I love spending time with my friends and family and try to be up for almost anything, but I'm a true introvert at times wanting to curl up and read a book, watch a movie or my favorite television show.

Journalism and finding news has truly changed from more of a traditional route to a more convenient and easier way to find and read the news. An example of a traditional news source is USA Today. USA Today is one of the top newspapers in the country and captured audiences with their use of graphics and color. They cover a wide range of news topics while at the same time capturing attention. An example of a new-media outlet is Mashable. Mashable is a news website that has articles, pictures, videos, and even comics. It is a truly interactive news website that allows the audiences to be a part of the news. Also they actively participate in social media and have sections that range from business and world news to technology and entertainment, making it a news site for any age.

I look forward to continuing to post and travel through the world of blogging, so follow along and start passing notes!

No comments:

Post a Comment